- Introduce myself and give a little information on my credentials.
- Check your valid photo ID to verify that you are who you say you are.
- Review the In Case of Emergency plan. I’ll also review who your emergency contact is with you and jot down your current location address.
- Review the housekeeping paperwork that you completed, such as the Notice of Privacy Practices and Informed Consents.
- Briefly talk about the SimplePractice platform and what’s available to you through your client portal.
- I’ll answer any questions that you may have.
- Review the Intake Questionnaire that you completed.
- Collaborate on the Treatment Plan, covering issues or symptoms that you’d like to work on, goals and outcomes, and steps towards those goals and managing symptoms.
- Discuss anything you could work on in between the initial session and the second session. If appropriate, I’ll probably suggest that you have a private journal or notebook to take notes during sessions and to use throughout the week.
- Answer any questions that you may have.
- Verify your current location address.
- Check-in. Talk about how your week was and how you’re doing.
- If we need to, review the Treatment Plan.
- Talk about things going on and work towards your goals that reflect the Treatment Plan. How we work towards your goals is 100% unique to you. We will also identify your strengths and interests and where we can use them.
- Discuss what you could work on over the next week.
More about working together
HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF COUNSELING
ABOUT PERSON-CENTERED PERSPECTIVE IN COUNSELING
I WAS INSPIRED TO CALL MY BUSINESS FINISH STRONGER COUNSELING
WHAT NATIONAL CERTIFIED COUNSELOR (NCC) MEANS TO POTENTIAL CLIENTS
THE VALUE OF SEEING A THERAPIST: WHAT DOES YOUR THERAPIST DO WHEN THEY’RE NOT IN SESSION?
WHY I BECAME A CHRISTIAN COUNSELOR (AND NOT AN ENGINEER)
OPEN PATH PSYCHOTHERAPY COLLECTIVE – AFFORDABLE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
I use SimplePractice, learn about your client portal.
3 thoughts on “Session Framework: what our sessions might look like”