The types of thoughts that we have can make a big difference in the way that we handle going through a crisis or difficult time.
An affirmation is a short and simple statement that can be used to bring subconscious thoughts conscious.
As thoughts become conscious, we can begin to take control of our way of thinking.
By adopting positive affirmations, we can build a more resilient brain, allowing us to better cope through tough times.
Over time and with repetition, our thoughts can change our brains, and even our cells and genes.
This process of the brain changing is called neuroplasticity. Affirmations activate the brain’s reward center. – I’ll include a link to an easy to read article that explains the science at the end.
Choose a few affirmations that you feel are most relevant to the crisis or difficult time. You may also create your own. You can download and print out this sheet and place it somewhere in your home or at your workplace.
If the affirmations are visible to others, maybe they will benefit?
Another idea is to write them on a sticky note or index card. Since sticky notes don’t take up a lot of space, good spots to place them are, on a mirror, refrigerator, or work computer.
Repeat your affirmations a couple times per day to yourself out loud. Reading them out loud is effective because you’re hearing them in your own voice.
Neuroplasticity occurs overtime, so give the process time to unfold before you give up on it. The best time to practice your affirmations is just about any time.
- I remain calm in a crisis.
- I am slowly becoming the kind of person who can survive this storm.
- I am free of anxiety and am living a calm life.
- When circumstances change, I will feel all the more grateful for what I have.
- I am replacing my negative thoughts with positive thoughts.
- I am attracting positive energy into my body.
- I am safe and in control.
- I’m not going to be struggling my whole life.
- I’m not alone in this world.
- The situation I’m currently dealing with is only going to make me stronger, wiser and powerful.
- The feelings of panic are leaving my body.
- My mind is clearing and I am in control.
- My body is calm.
- I find joy in moving forward.
- I choose to shine, not to suffer.
- I have what I need to get through this.
- Problems are opportunities for growth.
- I am able to see what needs to be handled first move through the rest after that.
- Living according to my values is what really matters.
- I acknowledge all the good in my life because I know that this is the foundation for all abundance.
- I move through life with ease and grace.
- Life is as good as I make it.
- I have the power to change the world in a positive way by being myself.
- Failure is part of the road to success.
- Good things are going to happen.
- I am confident that I will get through this.
- I will always remember how far I have come, not just how far I have to go.
- I will start where I am, use what I have and do what I can.
- I know that I can do it.
- I make wise decisions.
- Everything will be okay.
- I’m human and I can learn from my mistakes.
- I face problems bravely.
- I am strong.
- All I can do is my best.
- Everything that I have gone through has helped me grow.
- This life is mine to live and I’m going to make the most of it.
- I’m not going to quit.
- Things always get better with time.
- Happiness begins with me.
- I am resilient and capable.
- I’m grateful for everything that I have.
- My mental health is improving.
- I can deal with it.
- I feel free and happy.
- I have abundant energy, vitality and well-being.
- Five years from now, this won’t matter as much as I think it will.
- Everything will be okay.
- I inhale confidence and exhale fears.
- I’m thriving and make the most of every moment.
- I’m in a safe space.
- I’m letting go of my stress.
- I’m not getting discouraged.
- I have a positive mindset.
- Things in my life will start to be better.
- I am holding my head up high.
- I breathe in relaxation, I breathe out tension.
- I can get through anything.
- I welcome challenges into my life.
- Challenges are opportunities to learn and grow.
- I’m stronger than I think.
- I am getting stronger everyday.
- I am a strong and capable person.
- I can handle feeling uncomfortable.
- I am in control of how I think, feel and behave.
- Hard times do not get the best of me.
- I have the ability to overcome every obstacle.
- I will not let fear take control of me.
- I release all negativity from my life.
- When I have done all I know how to do, I choose to let my mind rest.
- I’ve been knocked down before and I can get back up again.
- I welcome fear as a sign to be careful, but choose to let go of it when it no longer serves me.
- I have faith in myself and my future.
- I have confidence in my skills and knowledge.
Subscribe and follow for more free mental health resources
Will you join me in my mission to help others?
One of my biggest goals is to increase mental health awareness, the availability of free resources, and the access to services.
If you value my free mental health content it would mean a lot to me if you would like, share, or Buy Me a Coffee. This helps people find my free content and allows me to continue providing free content.
I greatly appreciate your support!