People avoid going to therapy and there are a ton of valid reasons why. The top reasons that people avoid seeing a therapist are due to anxiety, having a fear of the unknown, and the stigma around mental health and needing support. I want to see people receive the help that they need.
I value the freedom and opportunities we have to reach out for help, it is okay to not be okay and to need to speak with somebody. It is okay to want some support. Feeling anxious or fearful are normal responses when you know that you will be divulging sensitive information to a stranger. This really is a big deal, I know.
To remove a little anxiety and stigma, here are some things that you can expect when you meet with me, and I know that all therapists strive to uphold these qualities and standards.
As a therapist, i won’t
- Try to fix you.
- Give you advice.
- Tell you what to do.
- Pretend to be the expert on your life.
- Assume what is best for you.
- Have all the answers.
- Make the difficult stuff disappear.
As a therapist, I will
- Have a non-judgmental approach.
- Provide a fresh perspective.
- Remind you that you aren’t broken.
- Give you room to access your own wisdom.
- Support you in figuring out what to do.
- Remember that only you know what is best for you.
- Honor that I don’t know it all.
- Collaborate with you on how to make the difficult stuff easier to sit with.
THAT is what I aim for as a therapist. If you have questions or would like to work together, contact me. Let’s see if we would be a good fit to work together.
Need more information?
ARE YOU FEELING ANXIOUS ABOUT GOING TO COUNSELING? ONLINE COUNSELING CAN HELP
HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF COUNSELING
FINDING AFFORDABLE MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELING
DO YOUR RESEARCH IF YOU’RE DECIDING WHETHER TO USE A MENTAL HEALTH APP OR TECH COMPANY, YOUR PRIVACY AND WELLBEING COULD BE AT RISK
OPEN PATH PSYCHOTHERAPY COLLECTIVE – AFFORDABLE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
One thought on “What I Do as a Mental Health Therapist”