People avoid going to therapy and there are a ton of valid reasons why. I believe that among the top reasons that people avoid seeing a therapist are due to anxiety, having a fear of the unknown, and the stigma around mental health and needing support. I want to see people receive the help that they need. I value the freedom and opportunities we have to reach out for help, it is okay to not be okay and to need to speak with somebody. It is okay to want some support. Feeling anxious or fearful are normal responses when you know that you will be divulging sensitive information to a stranger. This really is a big deal. To remove a little anxiety and stigma, here are some things that you can expect when you meet with me, and I know that all therapists strive to uphold these qualities and standards.
As a therapist, i won’t
- Try to fix you.
- Give you advice.
- Tell you what to do.
- Pretend to be the expert on your life.
- Assume what is best for you.
- Have all the answers.
- Make the difficult stuff disappear.
As a therapist, I will
- Have a non-judgmental approach.
- Provide a fresh perspective.
- Remind you that you aren’t broken.
- Give you room to access your own wisdom.
- Support you in figuring out what to do.
- Remember that only you know what is best for you.
- Honor that I don’t know it all.
- Collaborate with you on how to make the difficult stuff easier to sit with.