Have you suddenly found out that a loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s? In this article, you will find information about Alzheimer’s, links to resources from organizations, where you can find memory loss care in Pennsylvania, and ways you can take care of yourself, as you’re in a caregiver role.
Visit this series of guides meant to cover the common initial questions people have about Alzheimer’s
Caring.com is a top place for caregivers seeking information and support as they care for aging parents, spouses, and other loved ones. There are thousands of articles, helpful tools, advice from more than 50 leading experts, a community of caregivers, and a comprehensive directory of caregiving services. Below is an overview of what you will find on Care.com.
- The types of memory care in Pennsylvania and the costs.
- Pittsburgh is a top city for memory care.
Help at Home (OPTIONS) is a program that provides assistance to Pennsylvania residents, age 60 and older who would like to stay in their home.
The program offers 4 fundamental services:
- Adult Day Services – offers supervised, interactive care for older adults with functional impairments or Parkinson’s, dementia and related disorders.
- Care Management – ongoing care plan management to ensure the individual’s needs are being met
- In-Home Meals – delivered in-home meals.
- Personal Care Services – assistance with daily living activities.
Supplemental services may also be available based on the local area agency on aging. These services can include:
- Emergent Services – offers emergency services such as life-sustaining supplies, in-home meals, and overnight shelter in the event of an emergency.
- Home Health Services – offers skilled nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and home health aides when not otherwise covered.
- Home Modifications – offers adaptions to the home to improve safety and accessibility.
- At Home Support – offers basic housekeeping, shopping, and laundry.
- Medical Equipment, Supplies, and Assistive Devices.
- Pest Control – offers fumigation as needed.
- Personal Emergency Response System – offers an electronic device for high-risk consumers in case of an emergency.
- Specialized Medical Transportation – allows medical transport to consumers who must be lying down and require a stretcher via a non-emergency ambulance service.
Taking Care of Yourself is Important, As well
Browse this list of articles to get some great self-care ideas and to find support on your journey.
Articles here on my website:
Pennsylvania Free Mental Health Services – State of Pennsylvania Government Funded and Non Profit free mental health services.
Please, visit these resources or reach out to them directly for more details. I hope that this article helped point you in a good direction.
24 Hour Hotline – 1-800-490-8505
Abuse reports can be made on behalf of an older adult whether the person lives in their home or in a care facility such as a nursing facility, personal care home, hospital, etc. The reporters may remain anonymous and have legal protection from retaliation, discrimination and civil or criminal prosecution.
Common signs and symptoms of abuse may include:
- Weight loss
- Bruises or broken bones
- Increased confusion
- Unusual withdrawals from any account
- Signing over one’s home to another
Subscribe to stay up-to-date